Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Final Exam- Marcel Duchcamp

This painting by Marcel Duchcamp "Train Painting" was one that I really disliked and didn't really care to look at. His work is associated with cubism which was one of my least favorite movements that we learned about in class. I was confused by what it was a painting of and I honestly am not the biggest fan of his work. Although, his style of work is extremly unique and different. Personally this painting is not pleasing to the eye. I also don't like that there isn't any color to it. Usually paintings that are bright and colorful tend to stand out to me way more. I understand that his paintings are meant not to really have color, but I am just not a fan of it. I probably won't look at any of his artwork in the future. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you Michelle on disliking Marcel Duchamp art work. To me it look bland and its not pleasing to the eye. It is really confusing and hard to understand what he is trying to portray to the view. Out of all the artist we learned about he was my least favorite one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to disagree, it find this painting by Duchamp to be an appealing piece of art work. With cubism Duchamp was able to transform the subject matter, creating an interesting image. By using using shadows to add more depth to the image of the painting, the color is able to stand out and add more context to the painting. This is a unique style that i find to be quite appealing and intellectually stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also did not like cubism movement. A lot of Marcel Duchamp work did not stand out to me and looked dull. I can understand why some people may like his work but for me his work is unpleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy the vibrancy of this painting by Duchcamp. This painting is pleasing to my eye and it makes me look at it and try to figure it out. I was not a huge fan of cubism but iI do enjoy this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. This painting is not pleasing to the eye. It is just mixture of paint. The color is bland along with the work. It does not look like there was any meaning or thought into this painting. It look like wood to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I’m not a fan of Duchamp’s work either, having posted a piece of his work as well. I am also confused on what the painting is depicting, and I find the picture to be very obscure. The use of only brown and yellow tones doesn’t really help differentiate the objects in the painting. Although I appreciate the originality of his work, most of his pieces are not appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete