Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Final: I and the Village by Marc Chagall


I dislike this painting the most out of all the ones we learned about in the second half of our class. I feel like it does not make much sense and has too much going on in it. It confuses me and I do not think it shows off this artist's talent. The colors look Christmas themed and I truly do not understand the concept of this painting. To continue, Chagall was named a forerunner of modern fantasy; his painting style was creating "dreamlike imagery" that is lyrical. Although that does depict this painting, I still do not like it and would not want this in my home. It almost looks like something that a person on drugs might enjoy. It is definitely not my style or what I consider to be good art. Lastly, I feel as if this is not relevant to the other art work we looked at in depth. It does not stand out to me in a significant way and looks as if Chagall just threw out various ideas and placed them all in one single painting. I am an organized person so this stresses me out. In contrast, other paintings usually have one aspect they are trying to emphasize and make more pictorial sense than this.

5 comments:

  1. I agree there is a lot going on in this painting. However the artist did put a lot of subject into the painting which is interesting. He was able to include many things that reminded him of his home, it does look a but busy though. The bold red in the center kind of throws me off as well. However the randomness of it really makes the viewer spend extra time looking at the painting and analyzing it which was maybe his intention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on disliking this painting and I can see your thoughts on the Christmas colors and how distasteful it looks. It makes the painting confusing and unclear to the viewer. To me it looks like a man and a goat or sheep of some kind are looking into each others eye with things going around in the background that do not really correlate to me. The detail in the painting does account of something but again to me its not pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Katie on disliking this paintintg. I thought there was so much going on as well and it was kind of confusing. Although there is clearly a lot of detail that was put into this. This type of painting is not really my style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happen to enjoy this piece by Chagall to be perfectly honest, although I definitely can see how people may really dislike this piece. I enjoy how he "merged" himself with his village in a sense. I think that is symbolic since he grew up there, so you could say he was "merged" to the community at that point and he very well may have stayed "merged" with them throughout his entire life. The painting is like a story he is trying to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of have mixed feelings about this piece. I do not like the green face staring at the sheep. It gives off a creepy vibe. If the face looked less creepy, or maybe if the face wasn't green I think I would like it better. I do like how Chagall depicts his village all throughout the paintings. It's as if everything in the painting is his favorite part of the village that he is trying to share with the viewers.

    ReplyDelete