Thursday, March 12, 2020

Final Post: Marcel Duchamp - Fresh Window (1920)


I came across this work by Marcel Duchamp when looking at artists we discussed the second half of the class, and this particular piece drew absolutely no interest from me. Unlike some other pieces of Duchamp, like the toilet and the unicycle on the stool where he at least changed the basic appearance of the object to make it his own, all it seems he did or this was paint the glass on the window black. It is still just a basic window, and not really something unique that sets it apart from any other window. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post Eddie, I do not enjoy this painting as well. I am not a big fan of Duchamp and this painting continues to prove my disinterest in his art. I don't understand how someone can look at this and call it art when there isn't anything original about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your disinterest with this artwork. Like Duchamp's "Fountain" and "Bicycle Wheel," this art piece screams mediocre to me because he just painted a window and claimed it was art.

    ReplyDelete