Thursday, March 12, 2020

Final Post: Vir Herocius Sublimis

Vir Herocius Sublimis 
March 12, 2020


This was painted by Barnett Newman in 1950-1951. Out of all the artworks that we have studied and evaluated in the class, I would have to say that this is one of the pieces that I wasn't the fondest of. The background of the painting is a single vibrant color that is darker on the far edges and lightens as it goes towards the middle creating a two-toned of the light and dark shades fo the painting. Then there are only are five vertical lines spaced throughout the painting in which the two are light and slightly faded in contrast to the more solid and defined lines. I understand how the strips complement the main color of the painting to make it stand out creating a color field painting by separating the space with vertical stripes in different shades of contrasting colors, but I just don't find this painting to be that captivating to the viewer. The Strips in the painting also called zips are supposed to bring the painting to life but to me, it needs more life to be breathed into it. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree, this painting definitely needs a little something to make it "bring it to life". It's just plain and blah. It's boring. I would walk right past this painting and not think twice about it. But looking at it in the technique form, I think it's beautiful. The amount of paint and patience Newman had to have and use to make such vibrant colors. The paint looks even throughout the canvas, even with the shadows and lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how this painting could be lifeless to a lot of viewers, but I actually appreciate the simplicity of this painting. It's pleasing to me how clean this painting looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly disagree with you. Although the painting is very simplistic, his use of color and shading makes the painting vivid and more eye-catching. The way the red slowly darkens on the edges of the painting brings more depth to the painting. I remember seeing this painting at the MoMA and I actually enjoyed looking at it

    ReplyDelete