Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Final Exam- Kooning, Woman 1


This painting was made by William De Kooning between 1950 and 1952. William de Kooning was known and most famous for these works of art however I dislike them. Kooning was part of the abstract expressionist era of art and was Dutch.  I dislike the main figure in this painting the "woman" appears more like an ogar with many distorted features. The feet appear oversized and not human like. The hands and arms also are distorted. This is not a painting I would want displayed in my home. The main figure in the piece appears very pale and almost washed out of the painting. There is also a lot of movement in the background of the picture that doesn't make sense to me. I dislike that the strokes in the background are going in different directions. Some of the background is very colorful while some sections are dark and gloomy appearing. The woman appears to have some type of animal on her shoulder that is perhaps some type of bird. The woman looks to be sitting in an awkward, uncomfortable position as well. Her hips are twisted to the left while her torso is forward facing wither head looking right. Parts of the background almost appear to be melting down the side which distracts the viewers eye away from the main subject of the painting.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. I would not either want this painting displayed in my home. I was going to do this painting before realizing that you already did it. It really is not that good and the colors are bland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Marcella on this painting. I'm not the biggest fan of it. It is super abstract and I don't really like that about this painting. I also wouldn't chose to hang this in my home. I don't mind the colors, but its hard to figure out what is really going on in this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the description of the women looking like an ogar. The background look messy and there are many colors that do not compliment each other . I also see what you mean when you said the background looks busy my eye is draw to that rather then the women itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you on this one. Although I am a fan of abstract pieces of art. I think it gets to a point where it is almost too abstract. I mean there are different types of abstract art like objective and non-objective. But you can clearly see in this picture what looks to be the top portion of a woman. So is has some type of subject to it. But like I said, to me it is way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree! This is one piece that no matter how much I try to give it some benefit of the doubt I can not find any reason how this piece can be nice. It's just not appealing and very rough if I may say. The mute grey and the eyeballs are so unattractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about this painting, it doesn't make sense to me. There isn't anything appealing about it, the colors are faded and wash out. There are parts of the woman that is very disproportionate and it's just confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on this. I don't like the picture this painting is depicting of women. It seems like Kooning is painting women as scary or monster-like rather than beautiful or powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what you said about this art piece. This picture to me also looks like a child had done it. I agree I wouldn’t want something like this in my home. But I gotta day I do like the contrast of colors from the gloomy to the vibrant. You are right about the body, it’s just everywhere and disproportioned, also for some reason the woman’s teeth creep me out the most.

    ReplyDelete