Thursday, March 12, 2020

Final Post- Henri Matisse Woman with a Hat


My least favorite painting we studied this year is Henri Matisse Woman with a Hat. I don't like this painting because of its sloppiness. I personally don't like the green paint mixed into the face, I don't like how the paint doest stay in the lines of the drawing. Also, a lot of the colors give good contrast, there's to much green for me. I also don't understand the subject of the painting, to me, it is a useless photo. I also think the hat is stupid and sloppy the details of it get lost in the sloppy paint strokes. The only thing I like about this painting is the actual lady herself, I think her features make her look extremely realistic, unlike another artist who twists and contort human bodies. Other than that, I think the painting is sloppy and rushed, I believe this painting could have been beautiful if the right colors had been chosen

2 comments:

  1. Hello Liam,

    I definitely agree with some of the points you made. I am not a big fan of all the green that is incorporated in this painting. I also did not even notice the sloppy areas you point out in the painting. I feel that with this painting it is nice looking at it as a whole but when you look at the small detail, as you did in your review it becomes evident that many parts appear "sloppy" to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liam,
    I do agree that this wasn’t one of my favorite paintings. I agree that many parts were sloppy. However I don’t agree with you about the green. I honestly liked it mixed into the face because to me it gave the face some depth. But i really agree with you about the hat it’s very sloppy and it ruins the way I look at it sometimes, it makes me wonder what she had in and on the hat.

    ReplyDelete