Thursday, February 27, 2020

The Enigma of Hitler (1939) by Salvador Dali


The Enigma of Hitler, 1939


Dali explained The Enigma of Hitler was an interpretation of several dreams he had about Hitler - one had shown Neville Chamberlain's umbrella turning into a bat - a symbol from his childhood that filled him with fear.Dali once described his obsession with Hitler to André Parinaud as a strange homoerotic fantasy:
"I often dreamed of Hitler as a woman. His flesh, which I had imagined whiter than white, ravished me... There was no reason for me to stop telling one and all that to me Hitler embodied the perfect image of the great masochist who would unleash a world war solely for the pleasure of losing and burying himself beneath the rubble of an empire; the gratuitous action par excellence that should indeed have warranted the admiration of the Surrealists."

No comments:

Post a Comment